Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Journal Reflection# 2

Today March 23rd I again volunteered for mentoring/tutoring children with there homework. This time I had one new boy named Mario who was in the third grade. I assisted him with his math, and science homework. Unlike the last two boys I tutored he had a difficult time with his english. However he knew enough for me teach him, and I tried my best to correlate what I was saying. He also did not appear as exicted as the last boys to participate in this program, or talking to me, so today's volunteering left a little more to be desired. I hope that I at least came across as friendly, I understand that he may have just been shy, or not as outgoing as the previous kids I've encountered. It's also difficult to come across as sincire, and genuine to someone you just met whose older than you, and speaks a different language. Maybe it was just as simple an explanation that he wasn't having a good day. At any rate I still am glad I came today because I did feel more at home with the building, the staff, and the other children. The only aspect I was hoping to come across was meeting parents which has not happened yet. I hope I get to meet with some, and see if they react the same or differently to meeting me.

No comments:

Post a Comment