Thursday, February 25, 2010

Orientation

Thursday Feb 25th, 2010

I just finished my orientation at Escuela Vieau with a presentation by Yesenia Montenegro, and Maria Espinosa. I am looking forward to the opportunity to volunteer at this school. I am curious to find out if the language barrier will prove a difficult task, or if they are fluent in English, as well as they are in Spanish. I also hope to pick up on Spanish, and hope to learn at least a few phrases, or sentences in my time here. Although I am aware of certain negative stereotypes of the Spanish community, I really have not had a major presence of their hertiage in my life, and look forward to see how their children act, and play, what their mannerisms are. As well as what their outlook on life is in general, and how they perceive the "white community".
Maria stated that the children are very affectionate, once they get to know you, and I hope I get the opportunity to see this side of them, as well as guide them in any facet of life I can assist them with. I currently donate blood every 3 months to the blood center of WI, have saved a dog from the humane society, and now look forward to helping the community in another area. I have a suspicious feeling I will enjoy this hopefully to the point, where I could continue to help throughout the summer. This experience should also enrich my mind with how the Spanish community is a vital part of society, and how they feel about their in society, and America both good and bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment